California Office of Health Information Integrity
The California Office of Health Information Integrity (CalOHII) has responsibility to provide oversight and assistance to California State Departments and ensure they are in compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other related state and federal laws.
CalOHII is a resource to State departments on HIPAA and to help them safeguard their constituents’ protected health information from unauthorized access or disclosures.
In response to Governor Brown’s Presidential Major Disaster Declaration (approved by the White House on November 12, 2018) regarding fires in Butte, Los Angeles and Ventura counties – CalOHII provides the following information regarding release of Protected Health Information (PHI) during state or federal state of disaster of emergency.
- CalOHII Memo – Release of PHI during State of Emergency – February 14, 2017
- CalOHII FAQ for PHI and Disasters
For additional information – refer to the following links:
Use the following links if:
- you are a State Department seeking information about compliance reviews
- you are seeking information about the Statewide Health Information Policy Manual (SHIPM)
- you are seeking Federal/State HIPAA laws
- you are seeking other resources related to HIPAA, such as who to contact or tips/tools regarding HIPAA compliance
- you are seeking information about the CalOHII organization or staff