Children and Youth Behavioral Health Initiative
The Children and Youth Behavioral Health Initiative was announced in July 2021 with a $4.4B investment to enhance, expand and redesign the systems that support behavioral health for children and youth.
The goal of the Children and Youth Behavioral Health Initiative is to reimagine mental health and emotional well-being for ALL children, youth, and families in California by delivering equitable, appropriate, timely and accessible behavioral health services and supports with the following aspirations
- Advance Equity: ALL children, youth and their families have access to linguistically, culturally, and developmentally appropriate services and supports
- Designed for Youth by Youth: Children and youth are engaged in the design and implementation of services and supports; ensuring that programs center on their needs
- Start Early, Start Smart: The systems that support children, youth and their families act early by promoting positive mental health and reducing risk for more significant mental health needs and challenges
- Center around Children and Youth: Across all levels of government, child- and youth-serving agencies form coordinated systems of care to deliver high-quality behavioral health programs responsive to the needs of youth and their families
- Empower Families and Communities: People who teach, work with or care for children and youth are equipped to recognize signs of poor mental health or substance use and know how to access supports
- Right Time, Right Place: Youth and children can access high-quality care and information when they need it — including early mornings, evenings, and weekends and where they need it — including where they live, learn, and play
- Free of Stigma: Children, youth and their families can talk about their mental health and well-being and seek help without feeling ashamed or fearing discrimination
The Children and Youth Behavioral Health Initiative will be designed and implemented in partnership with CalHHS departments, education stakeholders from early childhood, K-12 and higher education, other State agencies, subject matter experts, community partners and stakeholders on the ground and in the field, and children, youth, and their families.
For more information, read the Children and Youth Behavioral Health Initiative brief.
For questions and inquiries, contact CYBHI@chhs.ca.gov.
View the Youth at the Center Report, highlighting what children, youth, families, and community members want in a reimagined behavioral health ecosystem. The report is foundational to the CYBHI’s efforts to ensure that their voices, needs, and lived experiences continue to guide every phase of the CYBHI’s work.
Learn about the CYBHI’s progress to date in the January 2023 Progress Report. The report includes highlights, achievements, and work to come.
Read the CYBHI’s Working Paper: California’s Children & Youth Behavioral Health Ecosystem, an early blueprint articulating what a more integrated and equitable mental and behavioral health system would look like and outlining the components, changes and steps necessary to get there.
To learn more about the CYBHI, our approach, focus areas and workstreams, view the CYBHI 101 presentation and latest FAQ.
CYBHI Report: Youth at the Center
- April 2023
- March 2023
- February 2023
- January 2023
- December 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- June 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
We welcome input on the Children and Youth Behavioral Health Initiative. If you would like to provide thoughts or comments or sign up to receive regular updates on the CYBHI, please email CYBHI@chhs.ca.gov.
CYBHI Equity Working Group
- CYBHI Equity Working Group Purpose and Description
- Call for Membership Applications
- Equity Framework Pillars
- The Working Definition of Equity
May 31 – Public Equity Working Group Meeting, 3:00 – 5:30 pm
March 29 – Public Equity Working Group Meeting, 3:00 – 5:30 pm
January 18 – Public Equity Working Group Meeting
October 19 – Public Equity Working Group Meeting
August 17- Public Equity Working Group Meeting
CYBHI Events and Webinars
Friday, June 9, 2023, 2pm – 4pm – Public Webinar
June’s webinar will share updates on recent developments, work-to-date, and upcoming next steps of the Initiative and its workstreams. You will also have the opportunity to ask questions from CYBHI leaders and partners on their work. As the webinar date approaches, we will share more information on its contents.
February 28 – Public Webinar
February 24 – Public Webinar
February 1 – Public Webinar
October 20 – Public Webinar
Quarterly Webinar 7/15
Kick-Off Webinar 3/15
In the News
Read the U.S. Surgeon General’s full commentary: “The Mental Health of Minority and Marginalized Young People: An Opportunity for Action” published in Sage Journals.